Ancient family recipe tweeked by western daughter in law (me!) to be gentler on the tummy and deepen flavors. Always voted the best, causing astonishment among husbands side of family...muhaha! Tomato and pomegranate based, use any firm bodied, mild flavored, deboned thicker filet will do. Have used whitefish, orange roughy, cod, and catfish. Tilapia is fine too, but reduce cooking time by ten minutes since it is thinner and more delicate. The pomegranate molasses can be found in import food stores. It is my secret ingredient that sets this dish ahead of all others!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs fresh fish fillets (deboned, firm bodied, mild tasting, thick)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons pomegranate molasses (found in import food stores)
- 1 dash hot sauce (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Place fish in medium bowl and pour white vinegar over filets, tossing gently by hand to cover all filet surfaces.
- 3Rinse filets with cool running water and place them in a large casserole dish (14x9x2) and set aside.
- 4In large skillet over medium heat, sauté onions in olive oil until translucent.
- 5Add curry powder and salt to onions, stirring for one minute.
- 6Add red wine vinegar, tomato sauce, pomegranate molasses, hot sauce and garlic powder to the skillet and let boil for five minutes.
- 7Pour mixture over fish and spread the chopped parsley and mint evenly over the top. Arrange tomato slices on top.
- 8Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes (10-15 minutes if filets are thin).
- 9Serve with cooked rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ruths Iraqi Fish Curry
Serving Size: 1 (328 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 380.5
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 124.6 mg
- Sodium 1732.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 54.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: