Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my Mom's version of German meatballs. Her mother used to make these but of course never used a recipe - she never even had a stove - always used a coal burning stove! Mom kept working on it and used a few more conventional ingredients and came up with this recipe. She always served it over extra-wide egg noodles.
- Mix the veal, pork, beef, egg, 1 teaspoons salt, pepper and onion together thoroughly.
- Shape mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls.
- To boiling water, add onion soup mix, bay leaf and 1/2 tsp salt - stir until mixed.
- Drop meatballs into boiling water; cover pan, reduce heat and simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Combine flour and cold water to make a thickening agent.
- Add to simmering meat stock and bring back to a boil.
- Boil one minute uncovered or until gravy is slightly thickened. (If you would like a little more gravy, add a bit more water and thickening agent).
- Serve over noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.
Absolutely delicious! I made this with just ground beef and it was fantastic. My hubby and kids ate it all up! Thanks for your great recipe. Will definitely be making this often.
This was a hearty meal that my children enjoyed. I will add more seasoning the next time, because while I liked the creamy gravy over rice, I thought the meatballs themselves could use more seasoning. I am thinking of adding garlic and seasoned salt, maybe using beef broth in place of some of the water; I am not sure what else. I will definitely make it again, with modifications. PS, I was a little unsure about what kind of pan to cook this in. I went with a fairly deep skillet because the amount of water required was lost in the stock pot I first tried. They came out just fine, even though a few of the meatballs were not submerged in the liquid.
This is the best recipe I have ever tasted! The meatballs were moist and I only had ground beef and they still turned out awesome! I did add sour cream and Worcestershire sauce, but other than that, I kept it the same. I have 3 kids, ages 5,6, and 7 and they absolutely loved this. They asked for it again, for tomorrow, lol! We ate this over spaetzle