Recipe by Mrs.jami
This is absolutely divine! Ruth has done it again! Note, the first time I made this I noticed there was a bit of extra liquid left over, next time I will adjust the amount of butter and/or add a bit more potato.
Top Review by tracyrode
I watched the video for this recipe and the butter is mixed up. For the crust, it's 1/2 cup and for the sweet potato mixture, it's 1/4 cup. I simmered the sweet potatoes in their skins for about 30 minutes and then shocked them in ice water. The skins came right off. You don't want to put the crust mixture on before you bake. You bake the sweet potato mixture for 30 minutes and then add the crust mixture and bake for another 10 minutes. This is per the video and the chef's instructions. Had I not seen this, it would not have been so perfect! Watch the video before you make.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped nuts (pecans preferred)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (melted)
SWEET POTATO MIXTURE
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes (can use canned to save time, just drain)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs (well beaten)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted (1/2 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine brown sugar, flour, nuts and butter in mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs and butter in a mixing bowl in the order listed. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into buttered baking dish.
- Sprinkle the surface of the sweet potato mixture evenly with the crust mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to set at least 30 minutes before serving.