Recipe by Nature's Cuisine
This is a good red-sauce enchilada recipe. The enchiladas may be made ahead of time and refrigerated (add 10 minutes cooking time) or frozen (add 20 minutes cooking time).
Top Review by Doxie lover in the Rock 2
Very tasty. The tortillas turned to mush in the oven though and I don't know why. I wonder if I didn't cook them long enough (in the Pam) or if I could have tried some crunchy chips instead. What a great recipe to use up rotisserie chicken!!!!! I will try cooking the tortillas longer next time.
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) rotisserie-cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can olives, sliced and divided
- 1 (4 ounce) can chilies, diced
- 8 ounces mexican cheese, shredded and divided
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 (14 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Chicken Preparation: Separate chicken meat from bones and skin. Place in a large bowl.
- Filling: Heat oil in skillet on medium. Sauté onion and garlic until caramelized. Add to chicken. Add half of the olives, chilies, and half the cheese. Mix well.
- Sauce: Mix enchilada sauce, tomato sauce, and tomato in a small bowl. Spread 1/2 cup of sauce evenly on the bottom of a rectangular baking dish.
- Tortilla Preparation: Spray small skillet with non-stick spray. Heat on medium-high stove top. When hot, place tortilla on top. After tortilla starts to expand, turn over. Remove promptly when starts to expand again. Respray skillet occasionally. Stack warm tortillas on a plate and keep covered with aluminum foil.
- Take one tortilla. Place a proportional amount of filling in middle of tortilla (from one end to the other). Fold tortilla ends over filling and place folded-side down in prepared dish. Repeat, laying enchiladas side-by-side until dish is full.
- Cover enchiladas with remaining sauce. Top with remaining cheese and olives. Bake in 350°F oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream.