Prep 3 mins
Cook 15 mins
My mom made this recipe up over 40 years ago and it is now a favorite of our whole family. My sister even makes cold sandwiches out of the leftovers.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (I use 96% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pre-cooked bacon, crumbled (optional)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans baked beans (I prefer Bush's)
- 1⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup brown sugar, to taste
- salt and pepper
- In large skillet, brown the ground beef and onion together over medium high heat(no oil is needed).
- Drain the meat and place back into skillet.
- Add bacon, beans, molasses, brown sugar and salt and pepper to the meat mixture and cook over medium heat until heated thoroughly (about 10 minutes), stirring often.
- Serve over hamburger buns / sandwich buns (I like mine toasted a bit for added texture).
This is very good and very filling. It is so easy to make, which is good on a busy weeknight. My family enjoyed it a lot.