Recipe by justcallmetoni
I looooove apple cake. So when this one came to me in a publication from the Bucoda Improvement District, I tagged it immediately. Have not made it yet but certainly have added it to the list.
Top Review by liljenn
This was absolutely delicious. I made it exactly as written, and it turned out perfect. I may try substituting some apple sauce for the oil next time, just to make it a bit healthier but other than that I wouldn't change a thing.
Thanks so much for posting!
- 5 cooking apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 3 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a large bundt or tube pan with a light coating of cooking spray.
- Mix together the apples, sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Add all of the ingredients for the batter to a large bowl and mix at medium speed for one minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure all ingredients are being incorporated. Mix for an additional 3 minutes.
- Pour one third of the batter into the baking pan. Cover with a layer using 1/2 the seasoned apples. Repeat with another 1/3 of batter and the remaining apples. Finish with the final 1/3 of batter.
- Bake for 90 to 105 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Cool for 10 minutes then invert onto a serving plate.
- While the is cooling (10 minutes), combine all ingredients for the glaze. Drizzle on top of the cake.