1/1 Photo of Ruth Reichl's Roast Chicken With Potatoes & Onions
1 hr 15 mins
I've just enjoyed Ruth Reichl's book about her time as a restaurant critic for the NY Times, "Garlic and Sapphires". She gives a simple, practical recipe for roast chicken that I thought great, although I did tweak it a tiny bit. She considers that it's not necessary to "make a big to-do about roasting chicken". She's so right ...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 deg F/200 deg Celsius.
- 2Wash chicken and pat dry. Remove and reserve any extra fat from inside the chicken. If there is no fat, use butter:.
- 3Very gently run your fingers between the breast and skin, from the neck, loosening the skin from the breast on both sides. Don't puncture the skin.
- 4Place the excess fat underneath the skin -- chop it up to spread evenly, if necessary. This way the chicken will baste itself.
- 5Puncture the lemon all over with a fork, and place inside the chicken.
- 6In a bowl, toss the potatoes, onion and garlic with olive oil so each piece is coated.
- 7Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- 8(This is where I suggest something more, as few of us will find a genuinely "farm-raised" chicken. Use a good seasoning salt of your choice, and black pepper, as ordinary supermarket chickens can be very bland). Season well all over. (I would also season the cavity and then put in the lemon).
- 9Put the oil-coated veggies in a roasting pan and spread out. Season with salt and pepper.
- 10If you have a rack, put the chicken on it and jiggle things to fit over the potatoes and onion. Otherwise, just put the chicken right into the pan.
- 11Roast for about 1 hour (she says that, but I would roast it for not less than about 1 1/4 hours).
- 12Remove the pan from the oven and let rest for about 10 minutes. (I'd put it into a warming oven).
- 13Carve chicken into serving pieces, surround with the potatoes, onion and garlic, and squeeze the (baked) lemon over the top.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ruth Reichl's Roast Chicken With Potatoes & Onions
Serving Size: 1 (513 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 736.3
- Calories from Fat 368
- Total Fat 40.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 187.1 mg
- Sodium 188.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 48.8 g