Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This simple and delicious recipe was in Ruth Reichl's book "Comfort Me With Apples". It is a classic American style curry - easy to make and doubles or triples easily.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup coconut milk, stirred well
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- 2 lbs large shrimp, peel and deveined
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper
- cooked rice and mango chutney
- raisins, salted roasted peanuts, chopped candied ginger
- Cook the onion and garlic in the butter in a heavy 5 quart pot over moderate heat, stirring, until the onion is softened, about 4 minutes. Add the spices and flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Whisk in the cream, coconut milk, broth and lime zest and bring just to a boil. Simmer the mixture, stirring constantly, until it begins to thicken, about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and simmer, stirring, until the shrimp turns pink and is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Stire in the lime juice, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the curried shrimp over rice and top with garnishes as desired. Serve the mango chutney on the side.