Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Plain, simple and delicious. Guests have the option of mashing them in with their potatoes, on the side, or (yuck... rutabagas!!!) not at all. To me, it is not Thanksgiving or Christmas without them.
- Carefully peel wax and skin from rutabagas.
- Slice into 1/2 inch rounds.
- Place stack of rounds on board and dice into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Bring water, rutabagas, and salt to a boil.
- Simmer gently 45 minutes to one hour.
- Drain and serve in warmed covered dish.
I made a reduced amount of the recipe for just me as I am the only one here who loves rutabagas. I tried them, but had to add the butter & a pinch of splenda. I'm sure it is just personal preference & what I am used too. Made for PAC Spring '09.
I also add a little butter and whip them just like I do potatoes. Yum! A must with turkey.
we like thesewith the butter lol dee