120 hrs 15 mins
A fermented vegetable courtesy of Phickle.com. If you enjoy a more acidic pickle, feel free to let it ferment longer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs rutabagas, preferably unwaxed (if you cannot find an unwaxed one, peel the rutabaga)
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, unpeeled
- 1Remove any roots or ugly spots from your rutabaga/swede; scrub well.
- 2Grate rutabaga and thoroughly washed ginger; mix well.
- 3Pack the vegetable mixture into a 1 quart jar as you would sauerkraut, very tightly.
- 4Very slowly pour your brine over your rutabaga.
- 5Let the liquid seep in, then crush your rutabaga mixture back in tightly. Continue this process until you have a centimeter of brine on top of your rutabaga.
- 6Weigh the vegetables down with a weight of some sort (a baggie or smaller jar filled with water) and let ferment at room temperature, removing any bloom/scum as it forms.
- 7Your vegetables should be complete in about five days.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rutabaga (Swede) Pickle
Serving Size: 1 (1150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.5
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2514.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.6 g
- Sugars 50.8 g
- Protein 10.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: