Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From "Scandinavian Cooking" by Beatrice Ojakangas.
Make and share this Rutabaga-Potato Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 907.18 g rutabagas, peeled and diced
- 226.79 g potato, peeled and diced
- 946.36 ml water
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml breadcrumbs
- 78.07 ml whipping cream
- 78.07 ml dark corn syrup
- 59.14 ml butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground allspice
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 1.23 ml white pepper
- 44.37 ml butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, combine rutabagas, potatoes and water.
- Bring to a boil; cook over low heat 25 minutes or until tender.
- Drain, reserving liquid.
- Mash rutabagas and potatoes until smooth.
- Butter a shallow, 2-quart casserole dish; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In large bowl, beat potato mixture on high speed, adding 1/2 cup of cooking liquid.
- Beat in flour, bread crumbs, cream, syrup, 1/4 cup melted butter, eggs, salt, allspice, nutmeg, ginger and white pepper.
- Beat until light and fluffy.
- Spoon into prepared casserole dish.
- Use a spoon to smooth top.
- Drizzle with 3 tablespoons melted butter.
- Bake, uncovered, 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until lightly browned.