Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From "Scandinavian Cooking" by Beatrice Ojakangas.
Make and share this Rutabaga-Potato Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs rutabagas, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 lb potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, combine rutabagas, potatoes and water.
- Bring to a boil; cook over low heat 25 minutes or until tender.
- Drain, reserving liquid.
- Mash rutabagas and potatoes until smooth.
- Butter a shallow, 2-quart casserole dish; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In large bowl, beat potato mixture on high speed, adding 1/2 cup of cooking liquid.
- Beat in flour, bread crumbs, cream, syrup, 1/4 cup melted butter, eggs, salt, allspice, nutmeg, ginger and white pepper.
- Beat until light and fluffy.
- Spoon into prepared casserole dish.
- Use a spoon to smooth top.
- Drizzle with 3 tablespoons melted butter.
- Bake, uncovered, 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until lightly browned.