Recipe by JoAnn
Haven't tried this yet, but it sounds tasty.
Top Review by Evie*
Found out a couple weeks ago that what the Northern Hemisphere call rutabagas we down under call them swedes. Ive only ever mashed them with carrot or parsnip so was delighted to find this recipe. Very tasty! and the best part my non eating vegetable son ate the lot! Yipee!!
- 2 medium rutabagas (about 2 lbs)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons sugar or 2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice rutabagas and cook by boiling 20 to 25 min.
- Or microwave with 1/2 cup water for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Mash rutabagas with reserved liquid.
- Stir remaining ingredients except butter into rutabagas.
- Pour into greased casserole and dot with butter.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes in a 350 degree oven until top is light brown.