Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Rawish it gives you energy! Also tasty :) Modified from a recipe found on http://www.affairsofliving.com
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 large apples, cored and diced (I used red delicious)
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, sultanas, currants (I used yellow rasins) or 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (I used yellow rasins)
- hand full dates, chopped (I used Parnoosh soft Iranian dates)
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- freshly cracked pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup tahini (I used almond hazelnut butter!)
- sea salt, to taste
- Lightly toast sesame seeds in a dry sauté pan over medium heat until golden and fragrant, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- Grate rutabaga with a large-holed grater or a food processor. Toss with chopped apples and 2 Tbsp of lemon juice, to prevent browning, in a large bowl. Add grated carrot, and raisins, and chopped dates - Mix it all up.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together tahini, lemon juice, and sea salt, to taste, then add water and continue to whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle dressing over salad, and stir to combine, then add sesame seeds. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Enjoy the energy!
I subbed barberries for the raisins and served the salad over mixed greens. The salad dressing was fiddely and for some reason the ingredients wouldn't mix well and not much eye appeal to the dressing (although we liked it.) A meyer lemon replaced standard lemon. The rutabaga was so small and impossible to peel that I finely grated it without any problems. I think I would not serve the salad over greens next time either. It would be better on its own. Made for Veg Tag and SUN and SPICE Event/February.