Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A nice fall or winter side dish.
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and sliced in 4 x 1/4-inch sticks
- 2 large red potatoes, peeled and sliced in 4 x 1/4-inch sticks
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup cream cheese (regular or lowfat-NOT nonfat)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Coat an 11-by-7-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Add rutabaga; return to a boil, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add potatoes; return to a boil, and cook 1 minute. Drain well, and return to pan; set aside.
- Place flour, salt, and pepper in a medium saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add the cream cheese and Worcestershire sauce, stirring until the cheese melts. Pour over potatoes and rutabaga; toss gently to coat.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs and parsley over casserole, and bake, uncovered, an additional 15 minutes.