Prep 40 mins
Cook 4 hrs
The longer the wheat berries are soaked, the more flavorful they'll be. These have a crisp crust and a nutty, crunchy interior with a robust flavor.
- 1⁄2 cup cracked hard wheat berries (100g)
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (100g)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast (18 g)
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour (300 g)
- 1 tablespoon salt (15 g)
- unbleached all-purpose flour, for kneading
- Soak the wheat berries in cold water for 1 to 3 days.
- Drain the wheat berries and process the berries and ap flour in a food processor or blender just until coarsely chopped (not too fine, or the berries wont be crunchy).
- Stir the yeast into the water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the berry mixture.
- Mix the whole wheat flour and salt and stir in, 2 cup at a time, into the yeast mixture.
- Stir until the dough is stiff and sticky.
- Knead on a floured surface until firm, elastic, but still slightly tacky, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled (2 hrs). Punch the dough down and knead briefly on a lightly floured surface.
- Shape into a long rectangle by flattening it with your forearm.
- Cut into eight 5-inch squares.
- Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet, cover with a towel, and let rise until well puffed and almost doubled (1 3/4 hr to 2 hrs) Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Bake 10 min then reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Cool completely on racks.