2 hrs 35 mins
La Dilettante's Note:
If you are expecting vegan house guests, and wondering what in the world to offer them for a breakfast bite, search no further! I found this recipe in *The World at Our Table*, a school-fundraiser cookbook sent to me by my Regional Cookbook swap partner Kerfuffle-upon-Winkle. Only after mixing the dough as directed did I realize that it contains no eggs nor dairy---and, indeed, no oil! I thought, "Uh-ohhhh...there's a mistake...!" But it rose beautifully, and when baked, tasted as bread probably tasted to hungry peasants in the Middle Ages---chewy, earthy, crusty, GOOD! Two notes: 1) the "cracked wheat" specified is exactly the same as the stuff you'd use in tabbouli---the bulghur. And 2) the addition of a little molasses and some raisins is my own idea, and it is the perfect way to add just a slight hint of sweetness, if you (like me) prefer a breakfast bread that isn't too sugary! Get a big bowl for the dough---this makes three hefty loaves. But...they freeze!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Proof yeast in 1/2 cup water at 110 degrees.
- 2Mix yeast, remaining water, cracked wheat, and wheat flour in large bowl. Stir with 100 vigirous strokes to blend and develop gluten.
- 3Cover well with plastic wrap and set aside for one hour.
- 4Mix in remaining ingredients, and knead well until dough is elastic.
- 5Let rise until doubled.
- 6Divide dough into three parts, and form into long flat pieces. Twist each piece into a corkscrew shape, and place upon a parchment-covered baking sheet, leaving about 2" between loaves.
- 7Allow to rise a second time, then bake at 350 for about 35 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rustic Vegan Walnut Wheat Bread
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 163.3
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 197.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 4.3 g