1/1 Photo of Rustic Sourdough Bread With Starter
27 hrs 30 mins
From starting your starter to finishing off your bread, this is a one and a half day process-worth every minute!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons potato flakes
- 1 cup flour
- 1In a measuring cup combine the warm water and potato flakes.
- 2In a large ceramic bowl whisk together the yogurt, buttermilk, yeast and sugar (I use my 6 quart crockpot crock).
- 3Whisk in the potato water.
- 4Whisk in the flour until mixture is smooth.
- 5Cover with a loose lid or a large kitchen towel. DO NOT use a tight fitting lid-the gas from the starter could cause your container to explode.
- 6Set aside on your counter and leave it alone for 24 hours.
- 7Next morning.
- 8In the bowl of your KA or standing mixer combine the warm water, sugar and yeast.
- 9Give it a good whisk and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 10Whisk egg in a small bowl or measuring cup.
- 11Add starter to the bowl of your KA mixer-whisk well.
- 12To the yeast mixture add the egg, oil and 2 cups of flour.
- 13Give that a good whisk to get it somewhat smooth.
- 14Attach dough hook and turn mixer on to 1 or 2 (low speed).
- 15Add one cup of flour and kneed for 2-3 minutes.
- 16Add another cup of flour and kneed for 2-3 minutes.
- 17Add 1/2 cup of flour and kneed for 4-5 minutes.
- 18You will want your dough to to be tacky but not sticky-by that I mean you want your dough to "just" pull away from the side of your mixing bowl.
- 19Turn out onto a lightly floured board or counter.
- 20Flour hands lightly and kneed for 2 or 3 minutes forming a nice ball-again it will feel tacky and somewhat soft.
- 21Turn into a large oiled bowl, turning once to cover ball entirely.
- 22Let rise 1 and 1/2 hours, or until double in bulk.
- 23Punch down and divide dough in half.
- 24Shape dough into whatever form you wish.
- 25I make one round loaf using a small, oiled cast iron skillet dusted with corn meal, the other I shape into a Italian Style loaf on a greased cookie sheet dusted with corn meal.
- 26Brush tops with oil, cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- 27Slash tops with a razor blade or VERY sharp knife.
- 28Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped.
- 29Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- 30Remove bread from pans/sheets and let cool on wire rack.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rustic Sourdough Bread With Starter
Serving Size: 1 (1560 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1572.1
- Calories from Fat 319
- Total Fat 35.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 103.4 mg
- Sodium 152.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 266.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 21.4 g
- Protein 42.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: