Recipe by TOPCAT TONY
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry -- This is the ultimate comfort food. The Italian dressing and wine combine to maximize all the flavors. The perfect dish for a lazy or rainy weekend. Be sure to have crusty bread for the sauce that remains and a glass of full-bodied red wine to complement the flavors.
- 6 slices bacon, rough chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) bag Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil, to fry potatoes if needed
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄3 cup Italian dressing (I use Good Seasons )
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 lb kielbasa, sliced diagonally in 1/8 inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, plain
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy skillet over medium heat, fry the bacon until just browned, about 8-10 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to drain. Set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, fry the potatoes in the bacon grease until golden brown on all sides, turning with a slotted spoon as needed, 12-15 minutes. If more grease is needed, use the olive oil. Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon to drain. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes with the black beans and set aside.
- Discard the grease and wipe the skillet clean.
- Add the Italian dressing to the skillet and cook the onions, carrots and kielbasa over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 12-15 minutes. Stir in the wine, broth, tomato puree, thyme and bacon. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a lightly greased 2-4 quart casserole, ladle 1/3 of the tomato mixture. Spread 1/2 of the potatoes and beans over the top. Repeat with 1/3 of the tomato mixture and the remaining potatoes and beans. Top with the remaining tomato mixture. Spread the bread crumbs over the tomato mixture and drizzle the butter over the crumbs. Sprinkle the cilantro over the top.
- Bake for 1 hour.