Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My DH had surprised me by making pasta and white clam sauce one night. However, he used all hot sausage in it and my girls do NOT eat hot sausage! After they picked out all of the pasta and clams (and went back to college), I was left with about a pound of left-over hot sausage. This soup is how I used it up with ingredients I had on hand. My DH loved it and I am posting it here so that I can make it again for him. (Serving size and cook time is approximate)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped (or more if you like garlic)
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth (I used low-fat)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can water
- 2 -3 large russet potatoes, cut in chunks (Leave skins on for an interesting texture)
- 1 lb hot sausage, cooked and cut in chunks (I used all hot, but a combo of hot and sweet would be good)
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- In a soup pot, saute onion and garlic in oil until soft.
- Add chicken broth, water, potatoes and sausage.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook until potato is almost tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add frozen green beans and simmer for another 30 minutes, until everything is hot.
- Serve with a loaf of crusty bread.