Prep 7 mins
Cook 17 mins
Here's an easy, comfort stew perfect for a cold winter night. Add a whole grain roll to complete the meal.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium white onions or 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium beef broth or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 (9 ounce) packagerefrigerated cheese ravioli or 1 (9 ounce) packagerefrigerated chicken ravioli
- 1 (10 ounce) package Baby Spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes (can use italian recipe-ready version)
- grated parmesan cheese (optional) or grated romano cheese (optional) or grated asiago cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion, saute 5 minutes.
- Add broth, water, rosemary and red pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add ravioli and undrained tomatoes, bring to boil again.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add spinach, and cook another 3 minutes or until ravioli is tender.
- Serve with grated cheese.
This was wonderful, however I needed to make substitutions because of what I had on hand. Only had spinach and cheese raviolis form Costco and green beans. I also added stew meat to this. Fried it with the onions and garlic. Drained it off a bit so it would not be too greasy. Then continued with the recipe.
Because the temperature is hovering near 0*, I was looking for a recipe for comfort food. This one sounded like what I was craving. I made the recipe almost as directed, except I browned 1 pound of extra lean ground beef and substituted Italian Seasonings for the rosemary. Still, something was missing. I added 1- 26 oz jar of spaghetti sauce and 1-15 oz can of cannellini beans, rinsed, to the stew. Simmer 30 minutes. Perfect. As recipe is printed I would rate, 2 stars. My version - 5 stars. My apologies, erin, I hate when people do this! :->