Prep 30 mins
Cook 32 mins
America's Test Kitchen
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks (4-5 medium potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/4 t. dried)
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 lbs leeks, white and light green parts, halved and sliced thin (about 8 medium leeks)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Prep the leeks before you begin--trim and discard the roots and the dark green leaves; slice the trimmed leeks in half lengthwise, then slice; rinse the cut leeks thoroughly to remove dirt and sand.
- Bring broth, potatoes, thyme, bay leaves, and 1/2 teaspoon salt t a boil, covered, in a large saucepan.
- Decrease heat to simmer, and continue to cook, covered until needed in step 5.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large Dutch oven over med-high heat; stir in leeks, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cover and cook until leeks are wilted and softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in broth mixture; bring to simmer and cook until potatoes are tender, 4-7 minutes.
- Off heat, remove bay leaves and mash some of the potatoes against side of pot to thicken soup to desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.