Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
A Vegetarian Times recipe. This recipe is wonderful when peaches and blueberries are in season. When they aren't in season you can either substitute 6 1/2 cups of whatever fruits and berries are in season or use frozen fruit. COOKING TIME INCLUDES CHILLING AND STANDING TIME
Top Review by Sweet Baboo
This was a very tasty and attractive dessert indeed. We all particularly enjoyed the crunch of the cornmeal in the pastry. The filling was quite tart (I wonder if much of the dissolved sugar drained off with the juice), but it was balanced by the sweet vanilla ice cream which was served alongside.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces neufchatel cheese, diced
- 4 tablespoons butter, diced
- 5 medium peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced (about 5 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ice cream (optional) or 2 cups sweetened whipped cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make Cornmeal Crust:.
- Add flour, cornmeal, sugar and salt to a food processor and pulse 2 or 3 times to combine.
- Add cheese and butter, and blend until dough resembles coarse meal.
- Add 3 Tbs. cold water, and pulse several times, or until dough comes together.
- Pat into a flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- To make Peach-Blueberry Filling:.
- Using a large bowl, toss together the peaches, blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch and cinnamon.
- Let stand 15 minutes, or until sugar is dissolved.
- Place sheet of parchment paper on work surface, and sprinkle with flour. Roll dough into 12-inch round.
- Fold in edge 1/2 inch to create sides.
- Slide parchment and dough onto ungreased baking sheet or pizza pan.
- Using a slotted spoon, place fruit in center of crust .
- Discard the juice.
- Bake 15 minutes at 425°F.
- Reduce heat to 350°F, and bake 20 minutes more, or until crust is crisp and brown.
- Allow tart to cool 10 minutes.
- Slide tart from parchment onto serving plate.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, and top with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.