1/5 Photos of Rustic Peach & Berry Galettes
Delish with any combination of fruit, the pastry is especially good & crisp. (chill time (2 hours) for the pastry not included in cook time.) from the local newspaper
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon sugar (I use splenda)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 2In a small bowl, whisk butttermilk and water.
- 3In a large bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar and salt.
- 4Using pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter.
- 5Sprinkle pastry with buttermilk mixture; with a fork mix until just combined, you may not need all of the buttermilk mixture, save any left to brush on just before putting in oven.
- 6Turn pastry onto lightly floured surface; divide into four pieces and press each into disc shape.
- 7Wrap discs individually in plastic wrap; refrigerate two hours or overnight.
- 8To prepare galettes.
- 9In a large bowl, combine peaches, berries, sugar and honey.
- 10On lightly floured surface, roll chilled pastry discs into 6 inch circle, about 1/8 inch thick; transfer rounds to parchment lined baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough.
- 11(I did not use parchment, I sprayed a rimmed cookie sheet with veggie spray).
- 12Arrange 1 cup of peach mixture in centre of each circle, leaving 1 1/2 inch edge; top with butter.
- 13Fold dough over fruit, pleating and leaving centre uncovered; brush pastry with water, (I used left over buttermilk mixture), and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- 14Bake in the bottom third of a 400f degree oven 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry is golden and crisp, cool on rack.
- 15Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- 16Almost any combination of 4 cups of fruit can be used, I used more blueberries, less peaches, because that is what I had around.
- 17I also made only two and cut each one in half when I served it; for smaller servings they could even be cut into 4 each.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rustic Peach & Berry Galettes
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 487.0
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 56.3 mg
- Sodium 309.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 37.1 g
- Protein 5.9 g