Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Rich tasting tomato sauce Thanks to.Irmgard,I found out I can make this in the slowcooker on Low for 5 hours.
- On a lined cookie sheet, spread onions, zucchini, pepper and mushrooms.
- Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast uncovered at a 425°F oven for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring a 28 oz can of tomatoes to a boil then simmer with the garlic.
- Combine with roasted vegetables and herbs.
- After adding the vegetables and the herbs to the tomatoes simmer another 30 minutes.
- Serve with freshly cooked penne or pasta of your choice.
- Sprinkle with shaved parmesan cheese and freshly crushed pepper.
Sage, Had this for supper tonight. Can't believe the sweetness of the roasted vegetables. This simple recipe is a keeper!!! Thanks for posting. Barb
I did this sauce a little differently. Since tomato-based sauces tend to burn on my stove top no matter how low the heat is, I made the sauce in my crock pot. I put the tomatoes mixed with the herbs to cook on low while I roasted the vegetables, among which I included the garlic so that it would caramelize with the rest of the vegetables. I increased the amount of olive oil slightly as I used extra mushrooms and seasoned the vegetables before roasting with a good grind of sea salt and fresh black pepper. Six teaspoons of pepper would have been too spicy for my taste. When the vegetables were ready, I added them to the crock pot and cooked everything for approximately 5 hours on low. The finished sauce was wonderful. Thanks for sharing!
This is wonderful for vegetarian. I added some goats milk feta cheese on top then put it a few minutes under the broiler since that is the cheese I had on hand. I also omitted the thyme out of preference and used fresh parsley and the rest of the herbs in dry form. I left out the bell peppers as I didn't have any on hand and used a good quality canned plum tomatoes which I broke up. I made a half batch and that may be the reason I roasted the vegetables for less time and turned down the oven in the process. Served with a fresh salad this was a good meal I would make again.