Recipe by uluru ?
This is an "old fashioned orange cake" I have my dear Mother's recipe book(hand written) it is 70 years old! I think these recipes were exchanged with her sisters who were all from Polish decent)
Top Review by Mirj
I love this cake! The house smelled wonderful while I was boiling the oranges! It's very easy, has no flour (perfect for Passover), the only fat comes from the egg yolks and the almonds, and it's delicious. I made this for dessert last night and it got rave reviews from family and guests. I made my own simple icing from powdered sugar and orange juice. There's only one piece left and guess what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow morning!
- 2 oranges
- 250 g ground almonds
- 250 g sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice (fresh not canned)
- 1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur or 1 tablespoon citrus peel
- 1 teaspoon melted unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil 2 oranges for 2 hours (this can be done the day before).
- Chop the oranges into small pieces taking out any pits.
- Put these into a food processor.
- Add eggs and beat.
- Then add ground almonds.
- Then sugar.
- And Baking Powder.
- Beat all these together in food processor.
- When mixed (keep an eye on the mix as it is a pretty full bowl) and stir occasionally to make sure it is all mixed.
- Oil a 9 inch (23 cms) spring form pan and pour the mixture in and bake in a 185-190c (about 350 degrees F) for 1 hour.
- check occasionally (depending on oven temperature as oven temps vary) and make sure the center is set.
- When cold make this icing and spread on cake.
- Whisk all together over hot water till liquid.
- melts and is pourable.
- Serve as is or with whipped cream.