southern chef in louisiana's Note:
The richness of almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, and pistachios embodies the generosity of the season. A kiss of honey and brown sugar adds a sweet touch. great for christmas cookies
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1Make crust:.
- 2Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F Butter a 13- by 9-inch baking pan (2 inches deep) and line with 2 crisscrossed sheets of foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides. Butter foil.
- 3Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, then blend in butter with your fingertips or a pastry blender (or pulse in a food processor) until mixture resembles coarse meal with pea-size butter lumps. Add egg and stir with a fork (or pulse) until a ball begins to form.
- 4Turn out dough onto a work surface and divide into 4 portions. With heel of your hand, smear each portion once or twice in a forward motion. Gather dough together with scraper.
- 5Press dough evenly onto bottom (but not up sides) of baking pan and bake until edges are golden and begin to pull away from sides of pan, 15 to 25 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack, about 40 minutes.
- 6Make topping:.
- 7Reduce oven temperature to 350°F Toast almonds and hazelnuts on separate sides of a shallow baking pan until fragrant and golden on the inside, 8 to 10 minutes. Rub hazelnuts in a kitchen towel to remove any loose skins (some skins may remain).
- 8Increase oven temperature to 375°F
- 9Bring honey, brown sugar, and salt to a boil in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved, then boil, without stirring, 2 minutes. Add butter and cream and boil, stirring, 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in all nuts until coated.
- 10Spread mixture evenly over crust and bake until topping is caramelized and bubbling, 15 to 25 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a rack. Lift dessert out of pan using foil overhang and cut into 64 bars. Peel bars from foil.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rustic Nut Bars
Serving Size: 1 (25 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 64
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 120.4
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 12.5 mg
- Sodium 46.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 2.1 g