Prep 2 hrs
Cook 55 mins
The picture says it all! This beauty not only looks impressive, but tastes fresh and wonderful. The cornmeal in the crust adds a nice element, different than the regular pie crust. (Prep time includes chilling periods).
- 395.10 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml coarse cornmeal
- 44.37 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml packed orange zest
- 3.69 ml salt
- 207.06 ml chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 78.07 ml ice water (or more)
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 7.39 ml cornstarch
- 4 medium nectarines, pitted and each cut into 16 slices
- 236.59 ml raspberries or 236.59 ml blackberries or 236.59 ml blueberries
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten (for glaze)
- raw sugar, to sprinkle
- peach preserves, heated
- To prepare the crust: Combine first 5 ingredients in food processor and whiz for 5 seconds to blend.
- Add butter, and pulse until butter is pea size.
- Add 1/3 cup ice water and pulse until dough forms moist clumps.
- Add more water by teaspoon fulls if too dry.
- Gather dough into ball, flatten into disc, wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour.
- Can be made 1 day ahead.
- Let dough sit a few minutes, then roll on lightly floured sheet of parchment paper to a 14 inch round, turning occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Slide a rimless baking sheet under parchment and place disc in fridge for 30 minutes.
- To make Filling: Stir sugar and cornstarch to blend.
- Mix in fruit and vanilla.
- Let stand until juices are released, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Transfer baking sheet with dough to work surface and let stand for 8 minutes.
- Spoon fruit and juices into center of dough, making a even 10 inch diameter.
- Brush a 2 inch border of dough with egg.
- Lift about 2 inches of dough border and pinch to form vertical seam.
- Pinching every two inches.
- See photo- middle six inches of fruit should remain uncovered.
- Brush folded border with egg and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Place baking sheet with tart in oven.
- Bake until crust is golden and fruit is bubbling, about 55 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer with large spatula to cooling rack.
- Brush fruit with heated preserves.
- Cool 45 minutes.
- Serve warm, or at room temperature.
- A dollop of creme fraiche or vanilla ice cream goes very nicely with a slice of this.
this was so de'light'ful after a heavy vegatarian hot pot I'd made for a veggie pal of ours. None leftover for later, served with a dollop of marscapone whisked with a dash of cointreux (?sp)