1/1 Photo of Rustic Nectarine and Raspberry Crostata With Cornmeal Crust
2 hrs 55 mins
Lisa Pizza's Note:
The picture says it all! This beauty not only looks impressive, but tastes fresh and wonderful. The cornmeal in the crust adds a nice element, different than the regular pie crust. (Prep time includes chilling periods).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup coarse cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon packed orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 14 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/3 cup ice water (or more)
- 1To prepare the crust: Combine first 5 ingredients in food processor and whiz for 5 seconds to blend.
- 2Add butter, and pulse until butter is pea size.
- 3Add 1/3 cup ice water and pulse until dough forms moist clumps.
- 4Add more water by teaspoon fulls if too dry.
- 5Gather dough into ball, flatten into disc, wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour.
- 6Can be made 1 day ahead.
- 7Let dough sit a few minutes, then roll on lightly floured sheet of parchment paper to a 14 inch round, turning occasionally to prevent sticking.
- 8Slide a rimless baking sheet under parchment and place disc in fridge for 30 minutes.
- 9To make Filling: Stir sugar and cornstarch to blend.
- 10Mix in fruit and vanilla.
- 11Let stand until juices are released, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- 12Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 13Transfer baking sheet with dough to work surface and let stand for 8 minutes.
- 14Spoon fruit and juices into center of dough, making a even 10 inch diameter.
- 15Brush a 2 inch border of dough with egg.
- 16Lift about 2 inches of dough border and pinch to form vertical seam.
- 17Pinching every two inches.
- 18See photo- middle six inches of fruit should remain uncovered.
- 19Brush folded border with egg and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- 20Place baking sheet with tart in oven.
- 21Bake until crust is golden and fruit is bubbling, about 55 minutes.
- 22Remove from oven and transfer with large spatula to cooling rack.
- 23Brush fruit with heated preserves.
- 24Cool 45 minutes.
- 25Serve warm, or at room temperature.
- 26A dollop of creme fraiche or vanilla ice cream goes very nicely with a slice of this.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rustic Nectarine and Raspberry Crostata With Cornmeal Crust
Serving Size: 1 (1393 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3059.8
- Calories from Fat 1547
- Total Fat 171.9 g
- Saturated Fat 104.3 g
- Cholesterol 613.4 mg
- Sodium 1857.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 353.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 27.9 g
- Sugars 140.6 g
- Protein 39.9 g