Don’t let phyllo dough’s fussy reputation put you off: our method of brushing olive oil and sprinkling breadcrumbs between the layers makes this tart actually quite simple to assemble, and helps keep it healthy. It can be served as a main course or cut into smaller pieces and enjoyed as an appetizer. Thaw frozen phyllo in its package at room temperature for 2 hours or in refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight. EatingWell Magazine, June 2007. Always remembering to keep it covered with a damp cloth towel.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup soft fresh goat cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- fresh ground pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups mixed wild mushrooms, coarsely chopped (we used button mushrooms, personal preference)
- 1 large leek, white part only, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced and thoroughly washed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup white wine
- thawed phyllo dough (10 sheets 14x18-inch or 20 sheets 9x14-inch phyllo dough)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1Combine ricotta, goat cheese, rosemary and peppers in a medium bowl; set aside.
- 2Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 3Add mushrooms, leek and salt and cook, stirring, until the leek starts to soften and the mushrooms release their juices, about 3 minutes.
- 4Pour in wine and simmer until the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes & set aside.
- 5Preheat oven to 400°F
- 6Line a large baking sheet (approximately 12 by 17 inches) with parchment paper.
- 7Lay one large sheet of phyllo on the prepared pan. (If using the smaller size, slightly overlap two sheets to form a rectangle.)
- 8Keep the remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap or wax paper and a damp kitchen towel.
- 9Lightly coat the phyllo with oil using a pastry brush.
- 10Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon breadcrumbs.
- 11Repeat this step, layering the remaining phyllo on top.
- 12Carefully roll about 3/4 inch of each side toward the center to form the outer rim of the tart.
- 13Spread the reserved cheese mixture evenly over the phyllo.
- 14Top with the reserved mushroom mixture.
- 15Bake the tart until the crust is brown and crispy, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 16Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- 17To serve, lift the parchment paper and slide the tart onto a cutting board or large platter & serve warm.
- 18Also serve a salad of baby greens, carrots, and radishes with a vinaigrette -- warm bread, lathered with butter & a nice fruity wine!
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rustic Mushroom Tart
Serving Size: 1 (59 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 92.2
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 7.3 mg
- Sodium 142.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
soft fresh goat cheese