Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My DD found this in a recent issue of Taste of Home Healthy Cooking and made it for dinner. Although she subbed a combo of hot and mild sausage for the turkey links, it turned was great! Paired with Italian bread this was a filling and hearty soup, especially good on this raw, rainy Sunday night.
- 3 Italian turkey sausage, links. casings removed (4 ounces each)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (9 ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 (6 ounce) packagefresh Baby Spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven; add onion.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
- Add garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Add the broth, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in tortellini; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until tortellini are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes; cook 2 - 3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted.
- Serve with cheese if desired.