Denise in da Kitchen's Note:
My DD found this in a recent issue of Taste of Home Healthy Cooking and made it for dinner. Although she subbed a combo of hot and mild sausage for the turkey links, it turned was great! Paired with Italian bread this was a filling and hearty soup, especially good on this raw, rainy Sunday night.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 Italian turkey sausage, links. casings removed (4 ounces each)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (9 ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 (6 ounce) package fresh Baby Spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 1/4 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven; add onion.
- 2Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
- 3Add garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 4Add the broth, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- 5Stir in tortellini; return to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until tortellini are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 7Add the spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes; cook 2 - 3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted.
- 8Serve with cheese if desired.
Browse Our Top Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 87.8
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 322.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Italian turkey sausage
refrigerated cheese tortellini