Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a delicious recipe that is very filling! Perfect for those cold nights. Makes good use of those few pieces of vegetables that you don’t know what to do with, feel free to add any other veggies! Is great served with fresh bread (we serve it with cut and buttered slices of baguette).
- 500 g blade steaks, chopped into chunks (can use any kind of stewing steak)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 onions, cut into chunky strips
- 3 bay leaves, torn in half
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 liters vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 stalks celery, cut into chunky pieces
- 4 potatoes, cut into chunky pieces
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Heat 1 tbs olive oil in a large pot.
- Add onions, garlic and bay leaves.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add combined paprika, chilli powder and flour- stir continuously for 2 minutes.
- Combine vegetable stock with tomato paste and gradually add to pot- bring to the boil.
- Add steak to the pot, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add celery, potatoes, carrots and Worcestershire sauce- simmer for around 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with fresh bread.
This was very nice although a thicker sauce would have been better
Very nice beef stew dish. Will be making this again soon!