Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Bon Appetit, November 2010.
For Rustic Herb Stuffing Cooked Outside the Bird
- 1 lb loaf French bread, country-style with crust, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 11 cups)
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 2 bunches green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch swiss chard, stems cut from leaves and discarded, leaves coarsely chopped (about 12 cups)
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup low-salt chicken broth (or more)
- 3 ounces parmesan cheese, coarsely-grated (optional)
For Rustic Herb Stuffing Cooked Inside the Bird
- 15 lbs turkey, brined
- prepared stuffing (as per the above recipe, prepare as written, but use 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt and 1/2 cup chicken br)
- additional chicken broth (for moistening stuffing in dish)
- olive oil
- Technique One: Outside the Bird.
- Convenience and concerns about undercooking have made baking the stuffing in a pan the default for many cooks. The payoff? Crispy topping and more stuffing (you can fit more in a pan than in the bird).
- Technique Two: Inside the Bird.
- If you want to stuff a turkey, it's best to brine it—that way, the stuffing can cook to a safe temperature without drying out the bird. Start with your favorite brined-turkey recipe, then follow the steps below. You'll end up with moist stuffing that's infused with flavorful turkey juices.
- Preparation: For Rustic Herb Stuffing Cooked Outside the Bird.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Spread bread on large rimmed baking sheet. Bake until bread is dry, about 15 minutes. Cool.
- Melt 10 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add green onions and next 8 ingredients; sauté until celery is tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add Swiss chard and toss until wilted, about 3 minutes. DO AHEAD Bread cubes and vegetable mixture can be made 1 day ahead. Store bread cubes airtight at room temperature. Cool vegetable mixture slightly, then transfer to microwave-safe bowl; cover and chill. Rewarm vegetable mixture in microwave before continuing.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Generously butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Place bread cubes in very large bowl. Add warm vegetable mixture; toss to combine. Whisk eggs and 3/4 cup broth in medium bowl. Add egg mixture to stuffing and toss to coat. Mix in Parmesan, if using.
- Add more broth (about 1/2 to 3/4 cup) to stuffing if dry. Transfer to dish. Cover with buttered foil. Bake 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake until golden, about 30 minutes.
- For Rustic Herb Stuffing Cooked Inside the Bird.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Drain turkey. Rinse under cold running water; pat dry.
- Place stuffing in glass bowl. Microwave on high until instant-read thermometer registers 130°F, stirring occasionally, 5 to 8 minutes. Fill cavities loosely with warm stuffing (do not tie legs). Place remaining stuffing in baking dish; moisten with up to 1/2 cup broth. Chill while turkey roasts.
- Place turkey on rack in roasting pan; brush with olive oil. Roast until instant-read thermometer inserted into stuffing registers 165°F (thigh will register 170°F), adding water to pan to prevent scorching, about 3 1/2 hours.
- Let turkey rest 30 minutes. Meanwhile, bake chilled stuffing until golden, 30 minutes.