Prep 50 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are hearty, yet melt-in-your-mouth spuds. Delicious with an elegant beef entree or a casual fried chicken supper, with or without gravy!
- 6 lbs russet potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 shallot, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- fresh sage or thyme or rosemary
- Scrub potatoes under running water. Cut into fourths, cover with cold, salted water. Bring potatoes to a boil and simmer until tender, but not falling apart, about 30 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, warm cream, garlic and herb leaves together in small saucepan. Mash warm potatoes together with scallions by hand, using a hand masher. Don't try to get potatoes perfectly smooth, they rustic! Strain warm cream and add to potatoes a little at a time, while continuing to mash. Stir in warm, melted butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- These work perfectly when made ahead and kept warm on LOW in a GREASED crockpot.