1/2 Photos of Rustic Cranberry-Pear Galette
Sydney Mike's Note:
Although now slightly tweaked, this recipe comes from the Jan 2003 cookbooklet Favorite Brand Name Recipes -- Holiday Desserts. Why it's called a 'galette' is beyond me since in France, I understand that refers to a type of cake, while in French Canada, I think it's more like a large cookie. What this recipe makes, for me, is more like an open, rustic pie! Whatever you call it, it is delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Coat pizza pan or baking sheet with nontstick cooking spray, then set aside.
- 2Set aside 1 teaspoon sugar, then, in a medium bowl, combine remaining sugar, cornstarch & cinnamon, blending well.
- 3Add pears, cranberries & vanilla extract & toss to coat.
- 4Remove crust from pouch, then unfold it, remove plastic sheets & place it on the prepared baking sheet.
- 5Spoon pear mixture in center of crust to within 2 inches of the edge.
- 6Fold edge of crust 2 inches over pear mixture & crimp slightly.
- 7In a small bowl, combine egg white & water & whisk until well blended.
- 8Brush egg wash onto outer edges of pie crust & sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- 9Bake 25 minutes or until pears are tender & crust is golden brown. If edges brown too quickly, covere with foil after 15 minutes of baking.
- 10Cool on wire rack at least 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rustic Cranberry-Pear Galette
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 165.0
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 110.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 1.5 g