Recipe by Tootalltygerlily
This great recipe originally appeared in Food & Drink Summer 2003 magazine from the LCBO.
Top Review by matris9
This was really good and my kids liked it too. I think I would make a tad more dressing next time, or maybe I used a little too much bread? Anyhow, two thumbs up, I love rustic country recipes like this one.
- 6 cups bite-sized cubes of hearty bread
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 large plum tomatoes
- 1⁄2 small red onion
- 1⁄2 cup small black olives
- 10 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 -3 cups cold chicken, shredded or diced
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Spread bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake 5 minutes; stir.
- Continue baking 3 to 5 minutes or until toasted.
- Whisk vinegar with garlic, salt and pepper, then add olive oil.
- Core tomatoes; cut lengthwise down the centre into bite-sized wedges.
- Place in a large salad bowl suitable for tossing.
- Cut red onion into rings and add to tomatoes along with olives and basil.
- Whisk dressing; pour over tomato mixture.
- Stir gently from bottom until well mixed.
- Leave at room temperature, stirring occasionally, until ready to use.
- When read to serve, add cooled bread cubes and chicken to tomato mixture; gently toss.
- Serve right away garnished with Parmesan cheese.