1/1 Photo of Rustic Cabbage Soup
You're gonna love this!! This will warm you up in no time. It's great for any time, though, not just in the winter. I like to serve a loaf of extra-sour rye bread, uncut and we just pull pieces off and butter it. Talk about rustic! You can use beef broth, chicken, or vegetable broth or a combo of all. I don't recommened water, but if you do use it, I'd go a little heavy on the seasonings. MMMMMMMMMMM!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb potato, skin on, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (I like the red skinned ones.)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 5 cups stock, can use broth (your choice)
- 1 1/2 cups white beans (precooked or canned)
- 1/2 medium sized cabbage, cored and sliced into 1/4-inch 1/4 inch ribbons
- pass a good quality olive oil, for drizzling and
- parmesan cheese
- 1Warm the olive oil in a large thick-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the salt and potatoes.
- 2Cover and cook until they are a bit tender and starting to brown a little bit for about 5 minutes. It's ok to uncover to stir a couple of times.
- 3Stir in the garlic and onion and cook for a few minutes until the cabbage softens up a little bit.
- 4Add the stock and the beans and bring the pot to simmer.
- 5Stir in the cabbage and cook for another couple of minutes, or until the cabbage softens up a bit.
- 6Now, adjust the seasonings; getting the seasonings right is important or your soup will taste flat.
- 7Taste and see if you need more salt.*.
- 8Note* The amount of salt you will need will be determined by how salty your broth or stock is. Canned broths will sometimes vary between brands and homemade stocks will vary from canned.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rustic Cabbage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (295 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.0
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 68.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 10.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: