1/1 Photo of Rustic Apple Tart With Rich Cream Cheese Crust
This is a super simple recipe and everyone loves it. The cream cheese dough is not rolled but simply pressed into a rough round. This is the richest and most delicious pastry dough I know. The apples don't have to be precooked. The combination of tart apples and rich, tangy dough is irresistible. Mom's Big Book of Baking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large tart apples, such as granny smiths
- 2 tablespoons strained fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
RICH CREAM CHEESE TART DOUGH
- 4 ounces chilled cream cheese, cut into 6 pieces
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, plus
- extra unbleached all-purpose flour, for shaping
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten for brushing rim of the crust
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
VANILLA WHIPPED CREAM (optional)
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 2TO MAKE THE FILLING: Peel the apples and cut them in half.
- 3Remove the cores with a paring knife.
- 4Cutting from blossom end to stem end, slice each half into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- 5Combine the apple slices with the lemon juice, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and the cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- 6Stir to combine.
- 7Let the apples stand until the sugar is dissolved, about 15 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- 8Place a shaped large dough round on a baking sheet.
- 9Arrange the apples slices in 2 concentric circles on the large dough round or in one circle on the small rounds, overlapping the apple slices slightly.
- 10Brush the rim of the crust with the egg yolk.
- 11Sprinkle the apples with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- 12Bake until golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
- 13Serve warm or at room temperature with Vanilla Whipped Cream or ice cream on the side.
- 14Rustic Apple Tart is best served on the day it is made.
- 15TO MAKE THE CHEESE TART DOUGH: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 16Place the cream cheese, butter, 1 cup flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor.
- 17Process until the dough just comes together.
- 18It will be sticky.
- 19Sprinkle the parchment paper with flour.
- 20Turn the dough out onto the sheet and, with floured hands, press the dough into a rough 10-inch circle or four 5-inch circles.
- 21Roll about 1/2 inch of the edge of the circle inward to create a lip to catch the juices.
- 22Refrigerate the crust for 1 hour or wrap the baking sheet in plastic and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours until you are ready to use it.
- 23Shaped Rich Cream Cheese Tart Dough, wrapped in plastic, may be frozen for up to 2 months and used directly from the freezer.
- 24TO MAKE VANILLA WIHPPED CREAM: Combine the cream, sugar, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- 25With an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip on high speed until the cream just holds stiff peaks.
- 26Do not over whip.
- 27Use immediately, or refrigerate it, wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 6 hours.
- 28Whisk it again for a couple of seconds before using.
- 29NOTE: If you are having eight or fewer people for Thanksgiving, double this recipe and make eight individual tarts.
- 30The dough can be made and shaped weeks ahead of time, and the rest of the prep is minimal, leaving lots of time to prepare the rest of the meal.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rustic Apple Tart With Rich Cream Cheese Crust
Serving Size: 1 (1407 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2630.0
- Calories from Fat 1237
- Total Fat 137.5 g
- Saturated Fat 82.1 g
- Cholesterol 553.4 mg
- Sodium 685.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 340.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.5 g
- Sugars 226.0 g
- Protein 24.6 g