1/1 Photo of Rustic Apple Galette
In honor of "National Pie Day" this year, I decided to make my family an Apple Galette. A galette is basically a pie without a pan. You simply pile the filling in the center, and fold the crust over. It is very easy, and very good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup flour, plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1For the crust: Pulse the flour and salt together in a food processor, just to combine. Then cut the cold butter into cubes. Add to the flour and pulse in the processor until the bits are smaller than peas. Turn on the processor, and slowly pour the water into it. As it mixes, the dough will start to stick together. Done.
- 2If you do not have a food processor, cut the butter in with a pastry blender.
- 3Form your dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and stick it in the fridge. Let it chill while you prepare the filling.
- 4For the filling: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 5In a small bowl, combine sugars, salt, flour & cinnamon.
- 6Set aside.
- 7Put the apple slices in a bowl, add the lemon juice and give it a stir.
- 8Add the dry mixture and stir to coat.
- 9Add in the lemon zest, and another quick stir.
- 10Set aside.
- 11Roll out your pie crust.
- 12Lay rolled pie crust dough onto a bar pan or cookie sheet with an edge, lined with parchment paper.
- 13Pile your apples in the center.
- 14Simply begin folding the edges of the dough over the apples, gently pressing them into place.
- 15Dot the apples with the butter pieces.
- 16Bake the galette for 35-45 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
- 17Allow it to rest and cool for 10 minutes or more before serving.
- 18The inside will ooze when you cut it, that's normal.
- 19Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rustic Apple Galette
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.0
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 50.8 mg
- Sodium 282.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 23.7 g
- Protein 2.6 g