Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My DH's aunt always brings these potatoes to every family function. They are a big hit. I asked for the recipe, and now I bring them to work functions. They are very simple, but are delicious. I don't like the olives on top, but my DH does. Enjoy!
- 8 -10 potatoes (medium to large- I use Yukon Golds or Russet)
- 1 (15 ounce) jar Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 1 large yellow onion
- 0.5 (32 ounce) package Velveeta cheese
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 (12 ounce) jar green olives, diced (as much or little as you want)
- Wash (scrub) potatoes and dice into 3/4-1" chunks. Cook until tender. Do not overcook.
- Meanwhile, dice and cook the bacon until crispy. Dice the onion and green olives (optional). Cut the Velveeta into 1/2-3/4" chunks.
- Stir together the onion, Velveeta and mayonnaise.
- Drain the potatoes. Place them in a sprayed, deep baking dish.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with salt and pepper.
- I always stir the cheese mix and potatoes in the same dish they will be cooking in If you would like, you could do this step in a large mixing bowl and add them to the baking dish after they are mixed together.
- Sprinkle the top of the potatoes with the bacon. Wait to add the olives until the last 10-15 minutes of baking time.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for approximately one hour. I uncover them the last 10-15 minutes. Monitor this to make sure they are not too well done. They should be bubbling.
- Let them sit for about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!