We were served this at our host’s dacha (country home) in Russia – Nina grew her own tomatoes, garlic and dill there. It is very simple, but you Must have tasty tomatoes! It looks awesome on a platter, and I have brought this to gatherings and received numerous complements. No measurements are given because you can make a little or a lot – and only 3 or 4 ingredients.
- Slice the tomatoes into thick (approx. 3/8”) slices, and place on a platter. They mostly should not overlap. Save the ends for nibbling.
- If using garlic, discard the center green shoot, and finely chop the garlic. Rub it over the tops of the tomato slices. I personally like the garlic, but I go easy – even a little can be strong/spicy.
- Put some mayo in the corner of a quart Freezer bag (not a snack, sandwich or storage bag – you need a strong bag.) Snip a small corner off the bag. (Fun Idea - could use a frosting tip for fun effects.).
- This is the fun part :-) Squeeze the mayo attractively onto the tomatoes. I use ribbons, stripes, swirls, etc. Nina used Lots of mayo, but you can use as much or little as you like.
- Sprinkle liberally with chopped dill. I might also sprinkle with some salt and pepper.