From the Joyofbaking.com, my friend Wendy made these cookies during our Operation Baking Gals 'baking day' -- these are one of my FAVORITE cookies, I can never eat just one. NOTE: There is a 1-hour 'rest' time for the dough to firm up once it is mixed. This is not included in the prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup toasted pecans or 2/3 cup walnuts or 2/3 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar (powdered or icing sugar)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted (powdered or icing sugar)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- 3Toast nuts. Place nuts on a separate baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes (or until lightly brown and fragrant) in a 350 degree F oven. Cool.
- 4Once the nuts have cooled completely place them, along with 2 tablespoons of the flour for the recipe, into your food processor, fitted with a metal blade, and process until they are finely ground (but not a paste). Or the nuts can be hand chopped until very fine. Set aside.
- 5In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- 6Beat in the vanilla extract.
- 7Add the remaining flour and salt and beat until combined.
- 8Stir in the nuts.
- 9Cover and refrigerate the dough for about 1 hour or until firm.
- 10Once the dough is firm, form the dough into 1 inch (2.54 cm) balls and place 2 inches (5 cm) apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- 11Bake about 12-15 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies start to brown.
- 12Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 5 minutes.
- 13Roll the semi-cool cookies in the sifted powdered sugar and return to rack to cool completely.
- 14Store in airtight container for up to 10 days.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Russian Tea Cakes / Mexican Wedding Cakes (Cookies)
Serving Size: 1 (706 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 908.8
- Calories from Fat 537
- Total Fat 59.7 g
- Saturated Fat 30.3 g
- Cholesterol 122.0 mg
- Sodium 153.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 37.7 g
- Protein 8.6 g