Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
Always a winner, this recipe is adapted from one given to me by my friends, Ariella and Chana, both natives of Leningrad/St. Petersburg. They store well in the refrigerator for about two weeks.
- 2 -3 lbs fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar (white, red wine, or rice)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 5 -6 fresh garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- dill (fresh or dried (fresh is best)
- 1 dash allspice or 1 dash a few cloves whole allspice
- Wash mushrooms and cut into halves or thick slices (or leave whole).
- Cover with water and boil at least 30 minutes.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking water.
- Add everything else to the reserved cooking water, pour back on top of mushrooms, and bring to a boil again.
- Cook about 5 minutes more.
- Cool and refrigerate.