Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Russian-style macaroni and cheese with lots or vegetables for flavor, texture and nutrients. The combination is wonderful. Can also substitute or add chopped cauliflower, broccoli or carrots, if prefer or for added variety.
- 2 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 bunch fresh spinach or 1 (10 ounce) bag fresh spinach, coarsely chopped and tough stems removed
- 1 (16 ounce) container cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions until barely tender.
- Rinse under cold water; drain and transfer to large bowl.
- Mel butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, mushrooms, cabbage, salt and caraway seeds.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until cabbage is tender about 7-10 minutes.
- Combine vegetable mixture and spinach with cooked pasta in bowl.
- Stir in cottage cheese, dill, pepper and 1 cup Cheddar cheese.
- Spread evenly in prepared baking dish and sprinkle with remaining 1/3-cup Cheddar cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until heated through.
5+ stars! I wouldn't change a thing about this recipe. I've had other versions of this dish before, but the fresh spinach and mushrooms really made this special. Thanks so much for sharing this!