Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 2 slices good-quality white bread, crusts removed
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 5 tablespoons butter, 3 of them at room temperature
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Break the bread into pieces.
- In a large bowl, soak the bread in the half-and-half until the liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in the chicken, egg, salt, pepper, dill and the 3 tablespoons room-temperature butter.
- Put in the freezer for about 10 minutes to firm up.
- Remover the chicken mixture from the freezer; it will still be very soft.
- Form the mixture into four oval cutlets and coat them with the bread crumbs.
- In a large nonstick frying pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and the oil over moderate heat.
- Cook the cutlets until golden brown and just done, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Variation for Italian-Style Chicken Cutlets: Omit the dill.
- Use half bread crumbs, half grated Parmesan cheese to coat the cutlets.
Great recipe! Found it on a blog and am happy to see it is here! My kids referred to them as "chicken nuggets". VERY good use for ground chicken.
My family LOVED this! I omitted the dill because my hubby doesn't like it, and substituted parm cheese instead. What a great flavor! I think I will use these as a base for chicken parmesan next time, and use italian-seasoned breadcrumbs. Thanks for sharing this great recipe!
Fantastic! I aimed for the Italian-Style ones. I had no bread so I soaked Italian breadcrumbs in some milk. Melted some mozzerella cheese on top and served with a nice sauce and penne pasta