Recipe by soldonflorida
This recipe came from Betty Feezor's show on WBTV in NC many, many years ago. The bacon give lots of flavor.
Top Review by I'mPat
A good basic recipe as posted the only changes I made were that I cooked my bacon in the oven till crispy and once cooled chopped. I seared the floured strips in batches (adding more oil as required) and then proceded from step 4 adding 2 cups of stock (water mixed with powdered beef stock) and simmered for about 1/2 hour with the lid partially off the pan, gave a good stir and then put the lid on and set it at just a burble (barely simmering) for the rest of cooking time. I used fresh swiss brown mushrooms and lean round steak but felt it was missing something and think a good slurp of paprika could lift it - I did sprinkle some over the finished portion but it really needed to be added into the cooking process but overall a simple good midweek and econimic recipe and would recommend but we really enjoyed the addition of the bacon as it added a little smoky flavour to it and with the paprika I think it would be tops., made for Bargain Basement Tag Game.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs round steaks, cut in strips (more or less)
- salt and pepper
- 8 -10 slices bacon
- 2 beef bouillon cubes, along with
- 1 -2 cup water
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, salt and pepper and place the round steak strips in the mixture.
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet-- take the bacon out and reserve.
- Leave the remaining oil in the pan and fry the floured strips- add the mushrooms.
- Once browned, add about 1-2 cups of water along with two or three bouillon cubes and simmer for one hour.
- Check during this cooking time to make sure there is always water in the pan.
- Add the sour cream to taste and the bacon strips that should be crushed up.
- Serve over noodles.