Recipe by NoSpringChicken
This delicious soup recipe was given to me by a good friend from Louisiana about three years ago. Not only is it a great vegetable soup, it is low-fat, low calorie, and nutritious. I like to serve it with some good dark rye bread or a roll.
- 3 tablespoons cooking sherry
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) candiced beets, drained
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups red cabbage, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons raisins
- 1 (6 ounce) can apple juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- plain yogurt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place sherry and 1/4 cup vegetable broth in saucepan with onions.
- Simmer 5-6 minutes.
- Add beets, carrots, cabbage, potatoes, celery and 1 cup additional broth.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining broth, spices, vinegar, apply juice, raisins and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Garnish with plain yogurt, if desired.