Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A meat and potato pie, serve veggies on the side.
- 6 potatoes, about 2 pounds
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb ground beef (I use extra lean)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms, about 4 ounces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Peel potatoes; cut into chunks, put into saucepan of boiling salted water, cover and cook potatoes until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Drain and return to pan; remove from heat.
- Add milk, butter and half of the salt and half of the pepper; mash with potato masher until smooth.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the flour and 1 of the eggs.
- Meanwhile, in large nonstick fry pan, saute beef over medium high heat, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Drain off fat.
- Add onions, mushrooms, caraway seeds and remaining salt and pepper; cook over medium heat, stirring, until onions are softened, 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining flour; cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Spread half of the potato mixture in 8 inch square glass baking dish.
- Spoon meat mixture over top.
- Top with remaining potato mixture.
- Beat remaining egg; brush over potato mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in 350F degrees oven until topping is golden, 30 to 40 minutes.
this is ultimate comfort food and is very similar to the way my mom used to make it. thanks for the memories :)