1 hr 20 mins
A meat and potato pie, serve veggies on the side.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel potatoes; cut into chunks, put into saucepan of boiling salted water, cover and cook potatoes until tender, about 12 minutes.
- 2Drain and return to pan; remove from heat.
- 3Add milk, butter and half of the salt and half of the pepper; mash with potato masher until smooth.
- 4Stir in 1/4 cup of the flour and 1 of the eggs.
- 5Meanwhile, in large nonstick fry pan, saute beef over medium high heat, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- 6Drain off fat.
- 7Add onions, mushrooms, caraway seeds and remaining salt and pepper; cook over medium heat, stirring, until onions are softened, 8 minutes.
- 8Sprinkle with remaining flour; cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- 9Spread half of the potato mixture in 8 inch square glass baking dish.
- 10Spoon meat mixture over top.
- 11Top with remaining potato mixture.
- 12Beat remaining egg; brush over potato mixture.
- 13Sprinkle with cheese.
- 14Bake in 350F degrees oven until topping is golden, 30 to 40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Russian Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (593 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 731.4
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 215.0 mg
- Sodium 849.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 37.7 g