Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
A different version of shashlik, found on saveur
Make and share this Russian Shashlyk (Lamb Kebab With Tomato Prune Sauce} recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup dill
- 1⁄2 cup seltzer water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless lamb shoulder, cut into cubes
- 3 small yellow onions, two cut into 2 inch wedges, one minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 16 pitted prunes, roughly chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes with juice, crushed
- 1 cup minced coriander
- 1⁄2 cup minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- metal skewer
- Combine 1/2 the dill with seltzer, vinegar, 1 tsp coriander, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper in a bowl with lamb and onion wedges.
- Chill overnight.
- Heat oil in a 4 qt saucepan over medium heat.
- add minced onion and garlic, cook 6-8 minutes.Add remaining coriander, paprika, salt and pepper, prunes, tomato paste and chili flakes, cook until caramelized 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, simmer, cook until thick 15-20 minutes. Add rest of dill , fresh coriander, parsley and juice.
- Heat a grill to high, with coals banked on one side, or one burner turned off. Thread onion and lamb onto skewers, cook, turning until desired doneness 15-20 minutes. Put any that are charring to much before being cooked through on cooler area of the grill.
- Serve with sauce.