1 hr 20 mins
A different version of shashlik, found on saveur
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup dill
- 1/2 cup seltzer water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless lamb shoulder, cut into cubes
- 3 small yellow onions, two cut into 2 inch wedges, one minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 16 pitted prunes, roughly chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes with juice, crushed
- 1 cup minced coriander
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- metal skewer
- 1Combine 1/2 the dill with seltzer, vinegar, 1 tsp coriander, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper in a bowl with lamb and onion wedges.
- 2Chill overnight.
- 3Heat oil in a 4 qt saucepan over medium heat.
- 4add minced onion and garlic, cook 6-8 minutes.Add remaining coriander, paprika, salt and pepper, prunes, tomato paste and chili flakes, cook until caramelized 2-3 minutes.
- 5Add tomatoes, simmer, cook until thick 15-20 minutes. Add rest of dill , fresh coriander, parsley and juice.
- 6Heat a grill to high, with coals banked on one side, or one burner turned off. Thread onion and lamb onto skewers, cook, turning until desired doneness 15-20 minutes. Put any that are charring to much before being cooked through on cooler area of the grill.
- 7Serve with sauce.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Russian Shashlyk (Lamb Kebab With Tomato Prune Sauce}
Serving Size: 1 (248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.8
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 81.6 mg
- Sodium 342.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 21.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: