Recipe by evelyn/athens
Greeks love 'Rossiki Salata', a yummy potato/vegetable salad bound with more mayonnaise than you'd think possible (add mayonnaise as per your liking - in Greece they use A LOT of it). Try making your own mayonnaise for this.
Top Review by sugarpea
Tell the Greeks Americans like this too, and thanks for sharing it! Beautiful colors, wonderful flavors. Soft, crunchy, sweet, sour, ououou! I made a small version for the two of us and decided to just fold the lite mayo in. Big mistake. We had pink Russian salad, so follow the recipe and frost the salad with the mayo. Oh, and don't add the beets until just before you serve the salad.
- 3 large potatoes, boiled al dente
- 2 carrots, cooked al dente
- 1 cup peas, cooked
- 1 cup corn, cooked
- 2 large beets, cooked al dente
- 1⁄4 cup small caper
- 8 gherkins, cut into small dice
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise, plus some extra to 'ice' the salad
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut all the vegetables into small dice (leave peas and corn whole).
- Transfer everything to a large bowl and stir carefully to combine.
- Adjust seasoning by adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Put in a pretty bowl and spread over top with a thin layer of mayonnaise to'frost'.
- Decorate with some cooked carrot strips, sliced olives, capers and gherkin strips.